The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office issued a flash flood watch, in effect for Guam, Rota, Tinian, and Saipan through late Sunday night.
NWS continues to monitor a circulation south of Guam, near 8 degrees north latitude and 147 degrees east longitude. It is expected to pass near Guam and bring periods of heavy showers and thunderstorms later today through Sunday night. Rainfall of 3 to 6 inches with locally higher amounts are possible through Sunday night.
Such rainfall could lead to localized flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas and flash flooding could also be possible in areas of heaviest rainfall.
In preparation of heavy rainfall, the community is reminded to take precautionary measures:
· Stay up to date with the latest information. Watch for additional flash flood advisories;
· Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action; clear drainage areas and unblock clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the chance of flooding;
· Avoid driving on flooded roads;
· If driving, be alert for low visibilities and slippery roads in heavy rain;
· Slow down where water is ponding on the road, drive below the speed limit and allow enough braking distance between vehicles;
· Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away;
· Do not camp, park, or hike along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD), with NWS, will continue to monitor all systems in the area and provide updates as needed.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
· NWS Website: https://www.weather.
· NWS Facebook: https://www.
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer Jenna G. Blas at (671) 489-2540 or via email at email@example.com.