The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) encourage the island to take action to improve their financial futures by participating in National Financial Capability Month, throughout April. Over the month of April, the Financial Literacy and Education Commission (FLEC), along with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Department of Treasury will focus on financial preparedness.
Financial Preparedness is important at all levels of income, especially during the challenges of rebuilding lives after a disaster or other emergency. During stressful disaster circumstances, having access to personal financial, insurance, medical, and other records is crucial for starting the recovery process quickly and efficiently.
Residents are encouraged to take the time now to collect and secure these critical records so in the event of an emergency, the documentation is readily available to start the recovery process without delay. Here are some simple tips to be financially prepared:
1. Gather financial and critical personal, household and medical information.
2. Consider saving money in an emergency savings account that could be used in any crisis. Keep a small amount of cash at home in a safe place. It is important to have small bills on hand because ATM’s and credit cards may not work during a disaster when needing to purchase necessary supplies, fuel or food.
3. Obtain property (homeowners or renters), health, and life insurance if you do not have them. Review existing policies for the amount and extent of coverage to ensure that what you have in place is what is required for you and your family for all possible hazards. Homeowners insurance does not typically cover flooding, so you may need to look for other avenues.
Visit the following links for more information:
Other ways to engage in Financial Preparedness Month:
· Follow and use the hashtag, #FinancialFuture2018
· Download the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit (EFFAK), https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1441313659995-38b0760a58131b871d....
· April 18, 3 p.m. ET (April 19, 5 a.m. ChST): Tune in to @Prepareathon for Facebook Live – Improving Your Financial Future, https://www.facebook.com/americasprepareathon
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer, Jenna G. Blas at (671) 478-0208 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SPECIAL BULLETIN -