The National Weather Service (NWS), Guam Weather Forecast Office continues to monitor Typhoon Mangkhut as it strengthens and moves westward.
Guam remains in Condition of Readiness (COR) 1.
As of 5 a.m., Mangkhut is located near 14.7 degrees north latitude and 149.1degrees east longitude, about 305 miles east-northeast of Guam, and 225 miles east of Saipan. Maximum sustained winds are 90 gusting 110 mph.
A typhoon warning remains in effect for Guam, Rota, Tinian, Saipan, and adjacent coastal waters in the Mariana Islands, meaning typhoon conditions, including destructive winds of 74 mph or more, are expected as early as this afternoon.
Based on the latest forecast, Typhoon Mangkhut is expected to pass near or north of Rota late Monday afternoon as a Category 2 or low-end Category 3 intensity typhoon.
Guam can expect the following wind speeds:
- Damaging winds of 39 mph or more are expected as early as noon today through early Tuesday morning.
- Winds of 50 mph or more are expected this evening between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Destructive winds of 74 mph or more are expected this evening, mainly in northern areas of Guam.
- Closest Point of Approach is expected around 6 p.m. this evening.
Expect some showers to be passing through later on this morning with frequent heavy rain this afternoon and evening.
Remember, these are projections and the storm still has the ability to slow down, speed up, move farther south or even strengthen. Stay vigilant.
Dangerous Waves and Seas
Combined seas in excess of 30 feet are possible due to the expected high winds near the center. Stay out of the waters until COR 4 is announced.
Sirens and Emergency Alert System to be used
How Can I Stay Up to Date with the Joint Information Center?
The Joint Information Center is the Government of Guam, military and federal government’s clearinghouse for accurate information during emergencies. The following is a list of radio partners, where you can get updated information about Typhoon Mangkhut:
· KSTO 95.5 FM
· 102.9 KISH FM
· Isla 630 AM
· K57 AM
· I94 FM
· Power 98 FM
· Hit Radio 100
· Cool FM
· The BOSS 104.3
· Star 101.1
· 101.9 KTKB
· 105.1 KAT FM
· 99.5 The Shark
· KHMG 88.1 FM
· The Point 93.3
TV and Newspaper partners include:
• KUAM: kuam.com
• Pacific News Center: pacificnewscenter.com
• Guam Daily Post: postguam.com
• Pacific Daily News: guampdn.com
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
· NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
· Joint Region Marianas Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jrmguam/
· Governor Calvo Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eddiebazacalvo/
For more information, contact the Joint Information Center at (671) 478-0208/09/10.
- SPECIAL BULLETIN -
You will find important information about Tropical Storm 30W on this page, as it happens and as it is released to the community.