As of 8 p.m., the system was located 11.0 degrees north latitude and 154.6 degrees east longitude, about 685 miles east east-southeast of Guam. The Tropical Storm is moving west north-west at 18 mph with maximum sustained winds of 40 mph. The tropical storm is forecast to intensify, possibly becoming a typhoon on Monday.
A typhoon watch remains in effect for Rota, Tinian, and Saipan, meaning typhoon conditions, including destructive winds of 74 mph or more, are possible within 48 hours, as soon as Monday.
A tropical storm watch remains in effect for Guam, meaning tropical storm conditions, including damaging winds of 39 mph or more, are possible within 48 hours, as soon as Monday.
To prepare for any scenario, residents and visitors are advised to take basic precautionary actions now:
- Stay up to date with the latest information. The storm track or intensity may change and advisories may be issued.
- Locate or prepare your emergency preparedness kits for your household; stock up on non-perishable food items and water for your household, flashlights, first-aid kits, batteries, matches or lighters, portable stove, toiletries, etc. Visit https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit for more information on what to include in your supplies list.
- Secure important documents such as birth certificates, tax papers, and insurance documents and keep copies in a water-proof bag.
- Clear loose debris around your yard and store any items that may become airborne with heavy winds.
- Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action; clear drainage areas and unblock clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the chance of flooding.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to heed any additional advisories in the coming days.
Stay up to date with the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Acting Public Information Officer, Jaimie H. Cruz at (671) 688-0438 or via email at email@example.com.