On its current track, Yutu will likely approach the Marianas Wednesday night, passing 20-30 miles north of Saipan Thursday as a Category 3, possibly Category 4 typhoon with maximum sustained winds forecasted to be at 110 to 130 mph.
The closest point of approach to Guam is possibly Thursday morning, more than 150 miles away. The maximum sustained wind prediction for Guam is 25 mph but could be as high as 30 mph with higher gusts.
NWS has issued a typhoon watch for Tinian and Saipan and a tropical storm watch for Rota.
There are no watches and warnings in effect for Guam but residents and visitors are urged to stay up to date in the event there are changes.
Due to the uncertainty of exactly how close to Guam or Saipan the disturbance will pass and the strength, it is advised to take basic precautionary actions through tomorrow. To prepare for any scenario, residents and visitors are advised to:
- Stay up to date with the latest information. The storm track or intensity may change and advisories regarding flash flooding or dangerous seas may be issued.
- Locate or prepare your emergency preparedness kits for your household; stock up on non-perishable food items and water for your household, flashlights, first-aid kits, batteries, matches or lighters, portable stove, toiletries, etc.
Visit https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit for more information on what to include in your supplies list.
- Secure important documents such as birth certificates, tax papers, and insurance documents and keep copies in a water-proof bag. Clear loose debris around your yard and store any items that may become airborne with heavy winds, before inclement weather arrives.
- Gas your vehicles and get fuel for your generators now while the weather is clear.
- Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action; clear drainage areas and un-block clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the chance of flooding.
- NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/